BERKELEY, Calif. (AP) — The University of California, Berkeley plans to build a gender-inclusive locker room at its campus gym.
When the locker room opens next year it will include private changing rooms, showers, lockers and bathrooms stalls. It will also serve as a gender-neutral access point to the campus swim facility. Campus officials say men, women and gender-nonconforming individuals will all be able to use the facility.
The San Francisco Chronicle reports (http://bit.ly/2rbyHaE ) the $2.7 million locker room is being funded from a new fee aimed at creating more equitable health services.
UC Berkeley is the latest university to create a gender-inclusive locker room. The University of Arizona recently broke ground on one and a national group that advocates for college gyms and health services is encouraging its member universities to follow suit.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- MAN ON BAY BRIDGE CAUSES MAJOR DELAYS
- SJSU STUDENT KIDNAPPING AT KNIFEPOINT, ESCAPE IN OREGON DEEMED A HOAX
- SETTLEMENT APPROVED IN OAKLAND POLICE SEX SCANDAL
- SAN JOSE POLICE ARREST 27 PEOPLE IN UNDERCOVER PROSTITUTION SWEEP
- COPS: RACIAL SLUR SPRAYED ON LEBRON JAMES’ LOS ANGELES HOME
- DOCUMENTS REVEAL ISSUES WITH DUBLIN WATER RIDE