SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) — San Francisco police were searching for two adults who abandoned a 5-year-old child near the San Francisco Zoo on Tuesday, authorities said.
But police have made contact with both parents on Tuesday night, police said. The mother has turned herself in.
The child was found near the intersection of Great Highway and Sloat Boulevard. The couple drove away after leaving the child there, police said.
Paramedics witnessed the incident, which happened on Monday night at around 6:19 p.m., according to Officer Giselle Talkoff.
Police said witnesses saw a woman throwing items out of her car in the 2800 block of the Great Highway. Shortly after, witnesses say they saw her push her 5-year-old daughter out of the car, causing the child to land on the concrete.
The woman then drove away with her 1-year-old son, leaving her daughter at the scene, police said.
Paramedics treated the child, who was not hurt.
A man in the car has been identified as the father of the 1-year-old, while the woman in the car was identified as the mother of both children, police said.
Police searched hotels in the area but were not able to find either parent.
Police eventually made contact with the father who cooperated with the investigation, police said.
The father told police where the baby boy was, and authorities found him in Oakland with a babysitter.
The mother is currently being interviewed by investigators.
No other information has been made available by police.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- GARCIA-TORRES GETS LIFE WITHOUT PAROLE FOR MURDER OF SIERRA LAMAR
- 2 CHARGED IN DEADLY GHOST SHIP FIRE, INCLUDING DERICK ALMENA
- SF POLICE ARREST SOCAL MAN IN MURDER OF AUSTRALIAN TOURIST
- PHARMACIST ACCUSED OF NOT FILLING BIRTH CONTROL PRESCRIPTION
- HARVARD PULLS STUDENT OFFERS OVER ONLINE COMMENTS
- VIDEO: FANS FIGHT IN STANDS AS CAVS WALK OFF COURT DURING NBA FINALS
- BABY DELIVERED AFTER MOTHER DIES IN CRASH IN FRESNO COUNTY
- MAN DIES AFTER SWIMMING WITH NEW TATTOO IN GULF OF MEXICO