ANTIOCH (KRON) — A 15-year-old has died in Antioch after being accidentally shot by his friend with a BB, according to police.
At around 9:55 a.m., officers responded to the 4300 block of Palomar Drive on a call of someone being accidentally shot with a BB gun.
Friends of the teen alerted a next-door neighbor for help. They brought the teen into the neighbor’s home and the older brother of the teen’s best friend checked for his pulse and called for an ambulance.
Officers found a boy on the ground with what appeared to be a small wound to his chest.
The victim was unresponsive so medics began to perform life-saving measures on him. He was taken to a nearby hospital where he died.
The victim has been identified as Marcos Garcia, a freshman at Deer Valley High School, according to KRON4’s Ella Sogomonian.
Investigators learned that the boy was shot with a pellet rifle once in the chest by a 15-year-old friend.
Police say based on several witness statements and evidence, the incident appears to be a tragic accident.
The teens were unsupervised.
The teens were celebrating the first day of summer, and some kids were let out early if they didn’t have a first period.
Garcia’s friends that live in the same neighborhood and grew up on the block, Palomar Drive and Point Sal Court, said they are shocked and saddened by the loss.
Police say this was a tragic accident.
Everyone at the scene cooperated with the investigation, police said.
Photos courtesy of http://eastcountytoday.net/
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- MOTHER ACCUSED OF ABANDONING YOUNG GIRL NEAR SF ZOO IDENTIFIED
- WOMAN CHARGED WITH SHOVING METH IN TODDLER’S MOUTH IN BERKELEY PARK
- FUGITIVE SEX OFFENDER WANTED IN VIRGINIA FOUND HIDING AMONG SF HOMELESS
- STANFORD STUDY: OFFICERS SPEAK LESS RESPECTFULLY TO BLACKS THAN WHITES
- VIDEO: HORSES ESCAPE IN SF’S GOLDEN GATE PARK
- JURY FINDS MAN GUILTY OF IMPREGNATING CHILD TWICE
- MOTHER SHOOTS, KILLS ARMED SUSPECT DURING ATTEMPTED HOME INVASION