DOLTON (KRON/CNN) — Authorities are investigating after the remains of an infant were found in a garbage bag in Dolton, Illinois.
Police say it was the foul odor that drew a homeowner to the shed attached to her house Thursday afternoon.
She found a garbage bag that she brought outside and opened.
“When she opened the bag, she discovered it was the decomposing body of what appeared to be an infant,” said Chief Robert M. Collins Jr. of Dolton Police.
The body may have been there for as long as a week.
The infant’s age and gender gave been determined.
That information will be released after an autopsy to determine the cause of death.
DNA samples will be used to try to track down the parents.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- 15-YEAR-OLD ACCIDENTALLY SHOT, KILLED BY FRIEND WITH BB GUN IN ANTIOCH
- THIRD VICTIM OF ALAMEDA CRASH DIES
- LAWSUIT: PLEASANTON BUSINESS OWNER DRESSED LIKE TRUMP RACIALLY HARASSED EMPLOYEE
- VIDEO: RACIALLY-CHARGED FIGHT AT CHICAGO STARBUCKS CAUGHT ON CAMERA
- VIDEO: OHIO SUBWAY EMPLOYEE TELLS ROBBER TO ‘GET A JOB’
- COMEY: TRUMP ADMINISTRATION SPREAD ‘LIES, PLAIN AND SIMPLE’