SAN ANTONIO (CNN) — Two toddlers died at a Texas hospital Wednesday after being left alone in a car for 14 hours.
The Kerr County Sheriff said the 19-year-old mother, Amanda Hawkins, intentionally left the girls while she hung out at someone’s house overnight until noon.
The sheriff said temperatures reached into the 90’s that day.
He said the children were unconscious when Hawkins took them out of the car and she didn’t immediately take them to the hospital because she “did not want to get into trouble.”
Hawkins has been charged with two counts of abandoning or endangering a child.
The charges could be upgraded after the case goes to a grand jury.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- 15-YEAR-OLD ACCIDENTALLY SHOT, KILLED BY FRIEND WITH BB GUN IN ANTIOCH
- THIRD VICTIM OF ALAMEDA CRASH DIES
- LAWSUIT: PLEASANTON BUSINESS OWNER DRESSED LIKE TRUMP RACIALLY HARASSED EMPLOYEE
- VIDEO: RACIALLY-CHARGED FIGHT AT CHICAGO STARBUCKS CAUGHT ON CAMERA
- VIDEO: OHIO SUBWAY EMPLOYEE TELLS ROBBER TO ‘GET A JOB’
- COMEY: TRUMP ADMINISTRATION SPREAD ‘LIES, PLAIN AND SIMPLE’