FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — A 13-year-old boy has been arrested for investigation of murder in the shooting death of a 14-year-old boy in California, authorities said Saturday.
Officers responding to reports of shots fired at an apartment complex in Huron, a town of 7,000 about 50 miles (80 kilometers) southwest of Fresno, found the older boy dead at the scene Friday night, Fresno County Sheriff spokesman Tony Botti said.
The 13-year-old was later found in town and taken into juvenile custody.
Botti says investigators are trying to establish a motive for the shooting but says, “Everything points it to being an intentional act.”
He didn’t know whether the boys knew each other and said it’s too early to tell if the shooting was gang-related.
The gun has not been found and investigators were trying to determine who owns it and how the boy got a hold of it, Botti said.
The suspect’s name was not released because he is a minor. The victim’s name was being held pending notification of his family members.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- 15-YEAR-OLD ACCIDENTALLY SHOT, KILLED BY FRIEND WITH BB GUN IN ANTIOCH
- THIRD VICTIM OF ALAMEDA CRASH DIES
- LAWSUIT: PLEASANTON BUSINESS OWNER DRESSED LIKE TRUMP RACIALLY HARASSED EMPLOYEE
- VIDEO: RACIALLY-CHARGED FIGHT AT CHICAGO STARBUCKS CAUGHT ON CAMERA
- VIDEO: OHIO SUBWAY EMPLOYEE TELLS ROBBER TO ‘GET A JOB’
- COMEY: TRUMP ADMINISTRATION SPREAD ‘LIES, PLAIN AND SIMPLE’