WASHINGTON, D.C. (KRON) — United States Justice Department Special Counsel Robert Mueller is investigating Russia’s meddling in the 2016 election, a report said.
According to the Washington Post, Mueller is also looking into whether President Trump attempted to obstruct justice.
Accusations of obstruction arose when last month when Trump fired FBI Director James Comey. Comey testified in a Senate hearing last week that he believed he was fired “because of the Russia investigation.”
The president has said that he received assurances from former FBI Director James Comey that he was not under investigation.
But according to the Post, that changed after Comey’s firing.
Mark Corallo, a spokesman for Trump’s personal lawyer, responded Wednesday evening to the Post report by saying, “The FBI leak of information regarding the president is outrageous, inexcusable and illegal.”
The Post report cites anonymous sources who were briefed on requests made by investigators. It was not known whether the FBI was the source of the information.
The White House has not commented on the report.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- 4 DEAD, INCLUDING GUNMAN, AFTER SHOOTING AT SF UPS CENTER
- WITNESS SAYS HE SAW FIRST SHOT AT UPS CENTER, RAN FOR HIS LIFE’
- UPS WORKER DESCRIBES TERROR, PANIC DURING SHOOTING
- GUNMAN WOUNDS GOP CONGRESSMAN, THEN KILLED BY POLICE
- VIDEO CAPTURES MOMENT GUNMAN OPENS FIRE AT GOP BASEBALL TEAM
- CANCER-CAUSING COMPOUND IN EAST BAY DRINKING WATER REACHES NEAR CRITICAL LEVEL
- WARRIORS CHAMPIONSHIP PARADE HAPPENING THURSDAY