DAVIS, Calif. (AP) — A California woman has been sentenced to five years of probation for breaking windows and leaving bacon at a mosque near Sacramento.
The Sacramento Bee reports (http://bit.ly/2rF3Lwz ) that 30-year-old Lauren Kirk-Coehlo of Davis was sentenced Friday after pleading guilty in April. She had been jailed since her arrest in mid-February.
She admitted vandalizing the Davis Islamic Center in January, destroying six windows and two bicycles.
She had faced up to six years in prison after also admitting to a hate-crime allegation.
Officials say she put bacon strips on door handles. Muslims are prohibited from eating pork products.
She also will undergo counseling and must stay off the internet and away from the mosque.
She formerly worked for Google and as a legal intern for the Sacramento County prosecutors.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- POLICE: OAKLEY POLICE ACTIVITY CONNECTED TO CONCORD HOMICIDE
- DEPUTIES: BABY ON VENTILATOR AFTER MAN STICKS FINGER DOWN THROAT
- POLICE: LOS ANGELES MOM TAKES 3 KIDS, MAY BE IN MEXICO
- MUST-SEE VIDEO: WOMAN MISTAKES RATTLESNAKE FOR DOG TOY
- CANCER-CAUSING COMPOUND IN EAST BAY DRINKING WATER REACHES NEAR CRITICAL LEVEL
- VIRAL: 7-ELEVEN EMPLOYEE YELLS AT SPANISH-SPEAKING CUSTOMER
- SACRAMENTO-AREA SHOPLIFTING FIGHT OVER HOT CHEETOS CAUGHT ON CAMERA