Images courtesy of CNN
NEW YORK (AP) — He’s been overshadowed by Barbie for decades, but now Ken is finally getting some attention.
Mattel is introducing 15 new looks for the male doll, giving him new skin tones, body shapes and hair styles. The makeover is part of the toy company’s plan to make its dolls more diverse and appeal to today’s kids. Barbie received a similar overhaul more than a year ago.
Ken will be sold in three body shapes: “slim,” ″broad” and “original.” He’ll have modern hairdos, such as cornrows and man buns, and come in seven different skin tones. He’ll also be sporting new fashions: think skinny ties and plaid shirts.
Mattel Inc., based in El Segundo, California, says some of the new Ken dolls will be available for sale immediately.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- BAY AREA TEMPS HIT RECORD HIGHS
- STUDY: COCONUT OIL MAY NOT BE HEALTHY TO CONSUME
- BLACK BEAR KILLS 16-YEAR-OLD BOY DURING RACE IN ALASKA
- SF ZOO OFFERS FREE ADMISSION TO UPS EMPLOYEES
- GILROY WOMAN KILLED IN FIERY SAN JOSE CRASH
- CHP: SAN JOSE MAN ARRESTED FOR BEATING OFFICER IN VALLEJO
- 2 CHILDREN, WOMAN FOUND MURDERED IN MODESTO HOME