SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a man has been arrested and charged with transporting an illegal immigrant who died in his pickup truck while traveling from the U.S.-Mexico border to Los Angeles.
Federal authorities say a man and his son saw Efren Jimenez dragging a woman’s body in a remote stretch of Orange County Sunday and detained him, grabbed a cell phone from his pocket and called 911.
Homeland security agent Monica Abend wrote in court papers Monday that Jimenez said he was hired to pick up two immigrants by a smuggling contact.
Abend says Jimenez told investigators the woman was limping when he met her and died during the trip.
U.S. attorney’s spokesman Thom Mrozek says Jimenez is not suspected in the death.
It’s not immediately clear if Jimenez has a lawyer.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- BAY AREA TEMPS HIT RECORD HIGHS
- STUDY: COCONUT OIL MAY NOT BE HEALTHY TO CONSUME
- BLACK BEAR KILLS 16-YEAR-OLD BOY DURING RACE IN ALASKA
- SF ZOO OFFERS FREE ADMISSION TO UPS EMPLOYEES
- GILROY WOMAN KILLED IN FIERY SAN JOSE CRASH
- CHP: SAN JOSE MAN ARRESTED FOR BEATING OFFICER IN VALLEJO
- 2 CHILDREN, WOMAN FOUND MURDERED IN MODESTO HOME