EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) – Lonzo Ball and his dad are staying home with the Los Angeles Lakers.
The Lakers selected Ball with the second overall pick in the NBA draft Thursday night, staking a big portion of their future on the talented UCLA playmaker.
Ball seems certain to become the starting point guard in coach Luke Walton’s up-tempo offense after D’Angelo Russell is traded to Brooklyn.
The Lakers don’t appear concerned by LaVar Ball, the voluble father with aspirations of building a global sports empire around his three talented sons. Ball raised his family in the Los Angeles suburbs.
Ball receives comparisons to Jason Kidd for his offensive abilities. He led the nation with 7.7 assists per game while quarterbacking the highest-scoring offense in Division I, and he scored consistently despite an unorthodox shot.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- 4-ALARM FIRE THREATENING HOMES IN VALLEJO
- TWO DEAD AFTER HOME INVASION IN BRENTWOOD
- DANGEROUSLY HOT WEATHER HITS BAY AREA
- VIDEO: MOTORCYCLE DRIVES THROUGH PROTEST IN SAN FRANCISCO
- TEEN ACCIDENTALLY SHOT, KILLED BY LA DEPUTIES FENDING OFF DOG
- BLOGGER DIES AFTER WHIPPED CREAM CANISTER EXPLODES