RIO VISTA, Calif. (KRON) – The U.S. Coast says a 40-year-old father who went missing after his kayak flipped over was found dead.
The San Francisco man was kayaking with his 5-year-old daughter near a state park south of Sacramento on Sunday afternoon before the boat flipped over, causing them to go underwater. According to officials, the pair was not wearing life jackets at the time of the incident.
Investigators say the father carried his daughter on his shoulders until a jet skier spotted them and rescued the girl.
According to authorities, the man went underwater again after his daughter was safe and did not resurface. He was found later that day.
They were kayaking in Three Mile Slough, part of the Brannan Island State Recreation Area, according to Sacramento County sheriff’s Sgt. Tony Turnbull.
The man has been identified by the Sacramento County coroner’s office as 40-year-old Roni Avila Alvarado.
The incident was reported a little before 2:30 p.m. A search was conducted by the U.S. Coast Guard and Solano County and Sacramento County units. Alvarado’s body was recovered a little after 11 p.m.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- HUMAN REMAINS MAY BE CONNECTED TO MISSING SF FATHER
- DISTURBING VIDEO: MOM, DAUGHTER ATTACKED OVER COLD CHICKEN
- CALIFORNIA FATHER BURIES WRONG MAN AFTER CORONER’S MISTAKE
- MAN ARRESTED FOR DRIVING RECKLESSLY WITH CHILDREN AT SANTA ROSA SIDESHOW
- AUTHORITIES: MOM LEFT 2 KIDS IN HOT CAR AS PUNISHMENT
- BAY AREA GRANDMA ARRESTED AFTER BOY HIT BY TRUCK DURING BEER RUN
- GIRL WHO DIED AFTER FALLING OFF SF CLIFF IDENTIFIED