Toxic algae in San Luis Reservoir prompts warning from state

SACRAMENTO (AP) – State officials are warning people not to swim in the San Luis Reservoir and to avoid eating fish from its water.

The Department of Water Resources on Friday upgraded the advisory for blue-green algae in the reservoir to danger after testing near the Basalt boat ramp earlier this week.

The algae is toxic and exposure can cause skin rashes, eye irritation, mouth ulcers, vomiting, diarrhea or cold and flu-like symptoms.

The state is advising people not to make contact with the water, drink it, or eat mussels or other seafood from it. The same cautions should apply to pets. The advisory does not apply to the nearby O’Neill Forebay.

 

WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:

>> MORE TOP STORIES

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s