DALY CITY (KRON) — A man who died after speeding away from an attempted traffic stop in Daly City early Saturday morning has been identified by the San Mateo County coroner’s office as 26-year-old South San Francisco resident Javier Mercado.
A Daly City police officer tried to pull over a speeding vehicle shortly before 4 a.m. on Mission Street but the driver didn’t stop and continued going south, police said.
Because the motorist was driving so fast, the officer didn’t chase him, but found the vehicle shortly afterward in the 7400 block of Mission Street, according to police.
The vehicle had crashed and the driver, later identified as Mercado, was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact Detective Patrick Dolan at (650) 238-7962.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- JULY 4TH LIVE: FIREWORKS AROUND THE BAY AREA
- ‘GO BACK TO CALIFORNIA’: COUPLE’S CAR, HOUSE VANDALIZED
- MAN ARRESTED IN CONCORD HIT-AND-RUN CRASH THAT KILLED 2 CHILDREN
- WOMAN KILLED IN 1ST OF 2 DEADLY CAR CRASHES IN SAN PABLO ID’D
- MAN KEPT WIFE’S BODY IN FREEZER FOR 8 YEARS TO COLLECT HER SOCIAL SECURITY
- TEEN BECOMES MILLIONAIRE AFTER PUTTING AIR IN TIRES