ANTIOCH (KRON) — The Antioch Police Department and the Contra Costa County Office of the District Attorney are investigating a homicide, robbery, and fatal officer involved shooting that took place Monday night.
Around 8:26 p.m. officers responded to the homicide and robbery the corner of Hillcrest Ave. and E. 18th St. in Antioch, according to police.
At the scene, a patrol officer with the Antioch Police Department became involved in a shooting.
“The investigation is in its early stages and no further information will be released at this time,” police said.
KRON4’s Philippe Djegal visited the Valero Gas Station at the scene.
He spoke with the gas station owner who identified the man killed as a 57-year-old clerk named Mohammed Jawad Ataie.
The owner describes Altai as a family man who immigrated from Afghanistan.
— Philippe Djegal (@pdjegal) July 4, 2017
At this time it is unclear how the incident unfolded.
An update from a source close to the investigation told us the suspect had been found dead after running away from police officers.
KRON4 is reaching out to Antioch police for more information.
A GoFundMe account has been made for Altai’s family and can be found here: https://www.gofundme.com/help-shooting-victims-family
Stay with KRON4 for updates on this developing story.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- JULY 4TH LIVE: FIREWORKS AROUND THE BAY AREA
- ‘GO BACK TO CALIFORNIA’: COUPLE’S CAR, HOUSE VANDALIZED
- VIDEO: WOMAN KILLED IN SAN PABLO CAR CRASH IDENTIFIED
- MOTORCYCLIST KILLED IN SAN PABLO HIT-AND-RUN CRASH
- BABY DIES AFTER BEING LEFT IN HOT CAR FOR 8 HOURS
- MAN KEPT WIFE’S BODY IN FREEZER FOR 8 YEARS TO COLLECT HER SOCIAL SECURITY
- TEEN BECOMES MILLIONAIRE AFTER PUTTING AIR IN TIRES