WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump was captured complimenting the French president’s wife’s appearance Thursday as he toured a famous Paris landmark.
Video footage posted on the French government’s official Facebook page showed Trump, French President Emmanuel Macron and their wives chatting after their tour of the museums at Les Invalides.
As they were saying their good-byes, Trump turned to Brigitte Macron and gestured toward her body.
“You know, you’re in such good shape,” Trump said, before repeating the observation to her husband. “Beautiful,” he added.
Brigitte Macron was her husband’s former high school teacher and their relationship has drawn international attention because of their significant age difference.
But feminists and President Macron have denounced that attention as sexist, arguing that nobody would blink an eye if he were the older spouse.
The Macrons’ age difference is identical to that of Donald and Melania Trump, who were spending two days in Paris in celebration of Bastille Day.
Trump has drawn criticism in the past for comments some say objectify and demean women, including the infamous “Access Hollywood” tape in which he bragged about sexually assaulting women and boasted, “When you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.”
Associated Press writer Lori Hinnant in Paris contributed to this story from Paris.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- 1 DEAD AFTER SMALL PLANE CRASHES IN SONOMA COUNTY
- WATCH: HOMEOWNER STOPS PACKAGE THEFT IN SAN JOSE
- MAN ACCUSED OF MOLESTING YOUNG GIRL AT CONCORD LAUNDROMAT
- ATTORNEY: JAILED MAN CONFESSED TO KILLING 4 PENNSYLVANIA MEN
- MAN TRAPPED IN ATM SLIPS NOTES TO CUSTOMERS BEGGING FOR HELP
- TYPO IN WENDY’S RESTAURANT SIGN IS DIVINE COMEDY
- VIDEO: RATS INVADE RESTAURANTS IN DALY CITY STRIP MALL