WARNING: VIDEO CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY (KRON) — Eight people are in the hospital after a head-on collision Saturday night on Highway 4 between Brentwood and Antioch.
Around 8:07 p.m. the Contra Costa Fire Department responded to the crash on westbound Highway 4 between Lone Tree Way and Sand Creek Rd.
Police say the accident was caused by a suspected drunk driver who was driving the wrong way on the freeway.
A 1994 gold Honda Accord (license plate 7RAE887) that was reported stolen out of Concord the same day, was allegedly speeding eastbound on the westbound side of Hwy 4, according to CHP.
The Honda reportedly passed by several cars before crashing head-on into a Honda Odyssey van.
The van was “full of people and children,” the Battalion Chief said.
Multiple victims were taken to trauma centers.
Two of them had to be flown in by helicopter, according to Contra Costa FD.
Highway 4 was briefly shut down for an investigation, CHP said.
PHOTOS: Multiple people hospitalized in wrong way driver crash
People hospitalized from the 2015 Honda Odyssey are listed as follows (per CHP):
- The driver, a 30-year-old man from San Francisco, sustained moderate injuries.
- A 34-year-old woman from San Francisco sustained minor injuries.
- A 1-year-old baby girl from San Francisco, just for precaution.
- A 61-year-old woman from San Francisco sustained major injuries but is in stable condition.
- A 2-year-old girl from San Francisco sustained minor injuries.
- A 72-year-old woman from San Francisco sustained minor injures.
- A 10-year-old girl from San Francisco sustained minor injuries.
- All injured parties from the minivan were taken to John Muir Hospital in Walnut Creek.
The suspect vehicle’s passenger, a 22-year-old man from Oakley, was taken to Eden hospital in Dublin with major injuries and is in stable condition.
The suspect driver, 24-year old Rafael Duarte from Oakley, was transported to John Muir Walnut Creek for minor injuries.
Upon his release from the hospital, Duarte was arrested and booked into the Martinez Detention Facility for the following charges (per CHP):
- Felony DUI
- Possession and driving of a stolen vehicle
- Driving as an unlicensed driver
- No car insurance
- Driving wrong way on the highway causing injury.
“This is an ongoing investigation and if anyone witnessed this collision or has information regarding it, please contact CHP-Contra Costa in Martinez,” CHP officials said.
Stay with KRON4 for updates.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- 1 DEAD AFTER SMALL PLANE CRASHES IN SONOMA COUNTY
- WATCH: HOMEOWNER STOPS PACKAGE THEFT IN SAN JOSE
- MAN ACCUSED OF MOLESTING YOUNG GIRL AT CONCORD LAUNDROMAT
- ATTORNEY: JAILED MAN CONFESSED TO KILLING 4 PENNSYLVANIA MEN
- MAN TRAPPED IN ATM SLIPS NOTES TO CUSTOMERS BEGGING FOR HELP
- TYPO IN WENDY’S RESTAURANT SIGN IS DIVINE COMEDY
- VIDEO: RATS INVADE RESTAURANTS IN DALY CITY STRIP MALL