SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) — BART police are cracking down on cellphone thefts.
The department has launched a public awareness campaign to help prevent these thefts.
In the most recent incident, a juvenile was arrested after grabbing a victim’s phone and attempting to run away.
A BART officer was able to locate and arrest the suspect in that incident.
This arrest comes as BART has seen a recent decrease in phone thefts following a sharp spike at the beginning of the year.
The deputy chief had some advice for people riding BART with electronics. He is warning that riders should be aware of his surroundings.
There have been approximately 240 electronic device thefts on BART this year.
Deputy Chief Haight says BART is working to increase its visible presence to deter these crimes.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- ‘FIRE BALL’ RIDES IN BAY AREA CLOSED AFTER DEADLY ACCIDENT
- COUPLE GETS LIFE FOR TORTURE MURDER OF NAPA TODDLER
- CAUGHT ON CAM: ILLEGAL STREET RACE LEADS TO CRASH IN SAN JOSE
- FORMER DEPUTY TO STAND TRIAL IN OAKLAND POLICE SEX SCANDAL CASE
- MUG SHOT RELEASED OF SF OFFICER ACCUSED OF HAVING CHILD PORN
- WINNING $1.2M LOTTERY TICKET BOUGHT AT DUBLIN BOWLING ALLEY
- FBI: MAN SAYS HE KILLED WIFE ON CRUISE OVER HER LAUGHING
- IDENTICAL TWINS WANT TO BE PREGNANT BY THE SAME MAN AT THE SAME TIME