SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) — Rookie linebacker Donavin Newsom was taken away by ambulance during San Francisco 49ers practice Tuesday.
Newsom was injured in an on-field collision with a teammate, according to KRON4’s Henry Wofford.
Coach Kyle Shanahan says Newsom has feeling in his arms and legs and his eyes were open as he was situated on a stretcher and taken to a hospital.
Newsom laid motionless on the field for nearly five minutes after colliding with safety Chanceller James while trying to break up a pass during a two-minute drill.
Newsom joined the 49ers in May as an undrafted free agent from Missouri.
Statement from the San Francisco 49ers:
“San Francisco 49ers linebacker Donavin Newsom was transported to Stanford Medical Center following an injury sustained during practice earlier today. After evaluation, doctors determined Newsom has no cervical spine fractures, but did suffer a concussion. Newsom remains at Stanford Medical Center under observation.”
Stay with KRON4 News for updates
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- SAN FRANCISCO STREET SELLS FOR $90K
- POLICE ARREST SUSPECT FOR ALLEGED ATTACKS ON BART
- SF POLICE MAKE ARRESTS IN TWIN PEAKS MURDER
- VIDEO: SEVERE TURBULENCE ON FLIGHT INJURES 10
- FAMILY OF BOY FILES LAWSUIT BLAMING SCHOOL FOR CHILD’S SUICIDE
- UK MODEL ALLEGEDLY KIDNAPPED FOR ‘DARK WEB’ AUCTION