(KRON/CNN) — An estimated 1 out of every 8 Americans struggles with an alcohol disorder.
It tracked drinking patterns among 40,000 people between the years of 2002 and 2003 and then again from 2012 to 2013.
Alcohol-use disorders affected a projected 8.5 percent of the population during the first research period.
It rose to 12.7 percent during the second. That’s almost a 50 percent increase.
Researchers claim the rise constitutes a “public health crisis” on par with the current national opioid crisis.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- 75 ARRESTED IN MASSIVE BAY AREA WEAPONS, DRUG BUST
- FAMILY HEARTBROKEN AS NURSE, HUSBAND FACE DEPORTATION
- OAKLAND MUSICIAN DIES AFTER BEING ROBBED, DRAGGED
- NKOREA DETAILS PLAN TO FIRE MISSILE TOWARD GUAM
- VIDEO SHOWS BABYSITTERS PUTTING 7-MONTH-OLD IN FRIDGE
- MOSCOW MULES IN COPPER MUGS COULD BE POISONING YOU