WOODBURY, N.J. (AP) — Authorities say a shoplifting suspect in New Jersey drowned when he ran from police and then tried to swim away in a lake.
Gloucester County prosecutors say officers approached the 20-year-old man at a Woodbury convenience store around 3:50 a.m. Saturday and tried to speak with him. But they say he ran off and jumped into nearby Woodbury Lake.
The officers ordered the man to leave the water. But they soon lost sight of him when he swam under a bridge.
Emergency responders then searched the water for the man but could not find him. A state police dive team eventually found his body around 10:30 a.m.
An autopsy determined the death was an accidental drowning. His identity has not been released.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- 75 ARRESTED IN MASSIVE BAY AREA WEAPONS, DRUG BUST
- FAMILY HEARTBROKEN AS NURSE, HUSBAND FACE DEPORTATION
- OAKLAND MUSICIAN DIES AFTER BEING ROBBED, DRAGGED
- NKOREA DETAILS PLAN TO FIRE MISSILE TOWARD GUAM
- VIDEO SHOWS BABYSITTERS PUTTING 7-MONTH-OLD IN FRIDGE
- MOSCOW MULES IN COPPER MUGS COULD BE POISONING YOU