RENO, Nev. (AP) — The mother of a man who died after plunging into a massive fire at the Burning Man festival says he was attending the festival in Nevada for the first time.
Authorities say Aaron Joel Mitchell wasn’t under the influence of alcohol, but toxicology tests are underway for other drugs.
Mitchell’s mother told the Reno Gazette-Journal (http://on.rgj.com/2iWWskP) that he worked in construction and loved the outdoors.
Johnnye Mitchell says her son was from McAlester, Oklahoma, and had been living in Switzerland with his wife.
The 41-year-old man died after breaking through two layers of security as a giant wooden effigy burned on Saturday.
The festival ended Sunday with the burning of another giant wooden figure. About 50,000 people attended that signature ceremony.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- SAN FRANCISCO BREAKS ALL-TIME RECORD HIGH
- LIST OF BAY AREA CITIES THAT BROKE RECORD HIGHS
- MAN SUSPECTED OF BEATING KIDS WITH HAMMER
- SMOKE SEEN POURING FROM RUSSIAN CONSULATE IN SF
- VIDEO: NURSE CUFFED FOR REFUSING TO DRAW BLOOD
- THREE CHARGED WITH TORTURE OF 10-YEAR-OLD CHILD
- HOW TO HELP VICTIMS OF HURRICANE HARVEY