SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) — The Bay Area Air Quality District has issued a Notice of Violation to the now-closed Russian consulate in San Francisco for burning in their fireplace on a Spare the Air day.
On Sept. 1, smoke was seen coming from the building’s chimney. This happened a day before the Russians were ordered to leave earlier this month.
The air district said the consulate was “burning garbage.”
San Francisco firefighters responded to the smoke pouring out of the chimney but were turned away.
Firefighters were told that consulate staff was burning unidentified items in a fireplace.
The order for Russia to vacate the consulate and an official diplomatic residence in San Francisco — home to a longstanding community of Russian emigres and technology workers — escalated an already tense diplomatic standoff between Washington and Moscow.
Stay with KRON4 News for updates
— Bay Area Air Quality (@AirDistrict) September 12, 2017
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- BAY AREA SEES MORE THAN 800 LIGHTNING STRIKES DURING THUNDERSTORM
- VIDEO: MOUSE IN MRS. FIELD’S COOKIE DISPLAY CASE
- VIDEO: U.C. BERKELEY OFFICER TAKES HOT DOG VENDOR’S MONEY
- TRANS ACTIVIST SHOT, KILLED OUTSIDE SAN FRANCISCO CLUB
- KENTUCKY BOY FOUND DEAD AFTER BEING ABDUCTED WITH HIS MOTHER
- PEOPLE BEHAVING BADLY: OLD PARKING HABITS ARE HARD TO BREAK