DENVER, Colo. (AP) — A Denver woman is suing Starbucks over hot tea she says gave her second-degree burns and killed her dog.
According to KDVR, the 58-year-old woman claims the lid of the 20-ounce hot tea was not secured onto her cup when she bought it at the Starbucks off Leetsdale Drive in Denver on September 26.
The lawsuit, filed in Denver District Federal Court on Friday, states hot tea spilled out of the cup through an unsecured lid and onto her body. The tea was so hot she says it melted through her clothes and caused severe pain to her stomach, legs, and lap.
The lawsuit claims the tea did not have a hot cup sleeve and was not “double-cupped” and was so hot the temperature of the cup began to burn her hands.
She then claims her dog jumped onto her lap, causing the hot tea to spill onto him.
According to the lawsuit, the dog was taken to an emergency veterinarian hospital but “ultimately succumbed to the injuries caused by the tea, dying a short time later.”
The woman underwent surgery the next day and was told she would later need skin grafts. The lawsuit seeks claims that exceed $100,000.
However, a Starbucks spokesperson says that they have video evidence that contradicts the woman’s claims.
Statement from a Starbucks spokesperson:
We are sympathetic to Ms. Salas-Solano and the injuries she sustained and our hearts go out to her on the loss of her dog. However, we have video evidence that clearly contradicts the claims made by the plaintiff and believe they are without merit. We don’t have any reason to believe our partner (employee) was at fault.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- BAY AREA SEES MORE THAN 800 LIGHTNING STRIKES DURING THUNDERSTORM
- VIDEO: MOUSE IN MRS. FIELD’S COOKIE DISPLAY CASE
- VIDEO: U.C. BERKELEY OFFICER TAKES HOT DOG VENDOR’S MONEY
- TRANS ACTIVIST SHOT, KILLED OUTSIDE SAN FRANCISCO CLUB
- KENTUCKY BOY FOUND DEAD AFTER BEING ABDUCTED WITH HIS MOTHER
- PEOPLE BEHAVING BADLY: OLD PARKING HABITS ARE HARD TO BREAK