(KRON/CNN) — Hackers have now targeted a type of personal computer cleaning software.
Security researchers say hackers compromised CCleaner. They say it is a sophisticated attack that affected more than 2 million computers.
CCleaner deletes unneeded files and web browser caches to keep windows computers free of junk.
Hackers were able to place malware into a new version released in August.
Researchers advise windows users to check if they are running compromised versions.
If so, delete the app and install the new safe version.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- PHOTOS OF SUSPECT WHO TRIED TO ROB BART RIDER WITH NOTE
- UNSECURED GUN STOLEN FROM SF SHERIFF’S DEPUTY’S CAR
- CALIFORNIA DAD PLEADS NOT GUILTY IN DEATHS OF HIS CHILDREN
- MAN ARRESTED FOR HITTING SAN LEANDRO OFFICERS WITH CAR
- VIDEO: YOUNG IMMIGRANTS SHOUT DOWN NANCY PELOSI
- POLICE: WOMAN SHOT BOYFRIEND, DISMEMBERED BODY
- DOWNLOAD THE BRAND NEW KRON4 NEWS APP