Video courtesy of CNN
SACRAMENTO (KRON) — Body cam video captures a police officer talking a suicidal woman off a ledge in Sacramento and saving her life.
Last Wednesday, a 20-year-old lieutenant with the Sacramento Police Department responded to a call about a woman in crisis.
When he arrived, a woman was leaning over the ledge of the Highway 160 bridge overlooking the American River.
He repeatedly tried speaking to the woman, but she didn’t react.
Suddenly the woman climbed over the ledge, which Sacramento police describe as just a couple of inches wide.
The officer began to plead with her. “Hold on, dear. Don’t do that. Don’t do that. Get on this side. Don’t do it. What’s wrong, honey? What’s wrong?”
She spent about a minute on the ledge before returning to the sidewalk.
Then, the officer made his move.
Video shows him sprint to the woman and grab her, perhaps saving her life.
“He saw a period in time where he had to take action, and he didn’t hesitate and took action and was able to detain that woman,” Sgt. Bryce Heinlein said.
The woman in this video was taken to a local hospital for a mental health evaluation.
The officer has asked to remain anonymous.
CNN contributed to this article.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- 5.7-QUAKE STRIKES OFF COAST OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
- 3 QUAKES HIT OFF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA’S COAST
- FOUNDER OF SF GROCERY STORE KILLED IN HIT-AND-RUN
- TV VIEWERS ALARMED BY APOCALYPTIC EMERGENCY ALERT
- MAN HITS WOMAN IN THE FACE ON BART IN THE EAST BAY
- SUSPECT PLANS TO SUE ‘HERO’ WHO STOPPED ARMED ROBBERY
- JOGGER WON’T STOP POOPING IN FRONT OF FAMILY’S HOME
- DOWNLOAD THE BRAND NEW KRON4 NEWS APP