MARSEILLE, France (AP) — A man with a knife attacked people at the main train station in the southeastern French city of Marseille on Sunday, killing two women before soldiers fatally shot the assailant, officials said.
French police warned people to avoid Saint Charles train station, tweeting that an operation was underway.
Soldiers and police took up positions outside the station, which was evacuated.
Three police officials said one woman was stabbed to death. Two of the officials said the other woman’s throat was slit.
The assailant was shot dead by soldiers who were patrolling inside the station. The officials were speaking on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly about the operation.
The Paris prosecutors’ office said that a counter-terrorism investigation has been opened. No further details were immediately given, including the motive for the attack.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- DEADLY POLICE SHOOTING SHUTS DOWN EAST BAY FREEWAY
- ONE KILLED IN ROCK SLIDE AT YOSEMITE’S EL CAPITAN
- POLICE: SAN JOSE SEX OFFENDER EXPOSED HIMSELF TO GIRL
- VIDEO: POLICE DRAG WOMAN OFF SOUTHWEST AIRLINES FLIGHT
- NEW NETFLIX, ITUNES SCAM COULD LEAVE YOU BROKE
- POLICE: TEEN CAUGHT HAVING SEX WITH WIENER DOG, AGAIN
- SF FLEET WEEK 2017: SCHEDULE OF EVENTS