SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The San Francisco Giants have moved hitting coach Hensley Meulens to bench coach on Bruce Bochy’s staff, having previously reassigned pitching coach Dave Righetti to the front office last week in a major reshuffling following a last-place finish in the NL West.
Former bench coach Ron Wotus is going to third base coach, while Matt Herges is the new bullpen coach. First base coach Jose Alguacil will stay in his spot, the team said Thursday while also announcing Phil Nevin won’t be back.
Righetti is now a special assistant to general manager Bobby Evans. Also last week, San Francisco moved previous bullpen coach Mark Gardner into a special assignment job assisting in pitching evaluations. Assistant hitting coach Steve Decker became a special assistant in baseball operations.
Righetti’s 18 years as pitching coach marked the longest run in the position in San Francisco history.
More AP baseball: https://apnews.com/tag/MLBbaseball
- SUSPECT SKETCHES, 911 CALL RELEASED IN SHERRI PAPINI KIDNAPPING
- 3 MEN ARRESTED IN SAN JOSE KILLING, ACCUSED OF TARGETING BROTHELS
- 3 SF PUBLIC SCHOOLS SHOW HIGH LEVELS OF LEAD IN WATER
- OFFICER TAKES KID TO MCDONALDS ON BDAY AFTER NO ONE PICKS HIM UP
- FEMALE GANG MEMBER’S ‘HOT’ MUGSHOT GOES VIRAL
- TEEN TO BE TRIED AS ADULT IN MURDER OF 8-YEAR-OLD MADDY MIDDLETON
- POLICE: 8-YEAR-OLD BRINGS GUN TO EAST BAY SCHOOL