WALNUT CREEK (KRON) — A teacher in Walnut Creek goes on administrative leave Monday after being arrested on child pornography charges, according to school officials.
Superintendent Marie Morgan says Michael Bartel teaches sixth seventh grades at Walnut Creek Intermediate School.
Bartel was arrested by Martinez Police for “alleged inappropriate conduct with a minor.”
No local students have been connected to the case at this time, authorities said.
“Bartel was hired by the School District after a thorough, standard background check,” Morgan said in a statement.
“Neither the school nor the [Walnut Creek] School District has received any reports of inappropriate behavior towards students by Mr. Bartel during his tenure at WCI,” she said.
Mr. Bartel was formerly a substitute teacher in the Martinez Unified School District during the 2013-2014 school year.
Martinez District officials have announced that Martinez police informed them Bartel’s arrest was for child porn and other related offenses.
A retired, fully credentialed teacher is substituting for Mr. Bartel as the case is investigated.
Here is the full statement from Walnut Creek Superintendent Marie Morgan:
- GIRL VIOLENTLY ASSAULTED ON DUBLIN SCHOOL CAMPUS
- DISCOVERY BAY MURDER SUSPECT IN CUSTODY
- 3 BAY AREA TEENS KILLED IN HALLOWEEN NIGHT CAR CRASH
- GANG MEMBER WHOSE ‘HOT’ MUGSHOT WENT VIRAL PLEADS GUILTY
- NON-SMOKERS GET EXTRA DAYS OFF TO MAKE UP FOR SMOKE BREAKS
- TRICK-OR-TREATER FINDS BLADE IN HALLOWEEN CANDY
- KRON4 & THE SALVATION ARMY: NORTH BAY FIRE RELIEF FUNDRAISER