SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) — After consumer holidays Black Friday and Cyber Monday comes an opportunity to focus on helping others.
Giving Tuesday has been celebrated every Tuesday after Thanksgiving since 2012, encouraging charitable giving on social media.
This year Facebook is partnering with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to match up to $2 million in donations to eligible US-based nonprofits.
Here is information on how to contribute, and how to make sure your donation is eligible to be matched.
Many local organizations here in the Bay Area are taking part.
The Oakland A’s will host a live telethon this morning at 11:00 a.m. on Facebook.
The hour-long event from the A’s clubhouse will be hosted by Dallas Braden.
San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee is also getting involved with the giving as he heads to the SF-Marin food bank.
The official #GivingTuesday website provides more ideas for how and where to donate on a local and national scale.
- CAL ATHLETE SURVIVES CRASH THAT KILLED FAMILY
- GAS LEAK TRIGGERS EXPLOSION, EVACUATIONS IN SAN FRANCISCO
- LOTTERY OFFICIALS SEARCH FOR POWERBALL WINNER IN OAKLAND
- PRINCE HARRY AND ACTRESS MEGHAN MARKLE TO WED NEXT YEAR
- METH LAB FOUND IN HOME OF ACCUSED SOUTH BAY STALKER