(KRON/CNN) — Researchers are seeing a mysterious rise in cases of scarlet fever across England and East Asia.
Scarlet fever is a bacterial disease that usually impacts children. It causes a bright red rash on most of the body.
Some people can develop strep throat. The disease has been rising for several years in the UK.
It hit a 50-year-high last year with 20,000 cases reported.
Researchers say they don’t know what’s causing the outbreak and are urging doctors around the world to watch out for symptoms and new cases.
- CAL ATHLETE SURVIVES CRASH THAT KILLED FAMILY
- GAS LEAK TRIGGERS EXPLOSION, EVACUATIONS IN SAN FRANCISCO
- LOTTERY OFFICIALS SEARCH FOR POWERBALL WINNER IN OAKLAND
- PRINCE HARRY AND ACTRESS MEGHAN MARKLE TO WED NEXT YEAR
- METH LAB FOUND IN HOME OF ACCUSED SOUTH BAY STALKER