GARNER, N.C. (WNCN) — A North Carolina mom is facing a child abuse charge after failing to take her 3-year-old son to the doctor after he got sick, which led to his death, according to a Wake County arrest warrant.
Deysi Yhuriko Martinez, 22, of the 8500 block of Bovine Place, is charged with one count of felony negligent child abuse — serious bodily injury.
According to the warrant, Martinez showed “a reckless disregard for human life…whose willful act of failing to provide care…when [her son] fell ill on [Aug. 9] until he was dying on [Aug. 10] around 3 p.m., demonstrates her willful act and/or gross negligence omission which led to the death of [the] 3-year-old.”
In court Thursday, it was revealed the child suffered a tear to his intestines and later died from sepsis.
Martinez was arrested on Wednesday on the charge.
She was initially being held under a $150,000 secured bond but the judge raised her bond to $500,000.
Other charges are possible against other individuals in the case.
- NEARLY A DOZEN MINORS ARRESTED IN SAN JOSE CRIME SPREE
- EX-TWITTER EMPLOYEE WHO DEACTIVATED TRUMP’S ACCOUNT SPEAKS
- MULTIPLE WOMEN ACCUSE MATT LAUER OF SEXUAL HARASSMENT
- SAN JOSE TEACHER SAYS STUDENTS BULLIED HER FOR BEING MUSLIM
- GUNMAN KILLED AFTER OPENING FIRE FROM RENO HIGH-RISE