OAKLAND (KRON) — Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf has announced the city’s first Tuff Shed Shelters designed to help provide housing to the homeless.
About 20 sheds are expected to provide temporary housing to 40 people.
The site is located at Sixth and Castro streets, just beneath the Interstate 880 and 980 split.
It will have 24-hour security.
The Oakland Builders Alliance paved and prepared the site for free.
Earlier on Thursday, the mayor discussed the benefits of having the site.
The Oakland City Alliance donated the sheds after raising money toward the effort.
- CAL ATHLETE SURVIVES CRASH THAT KILLED FAMILY
- GAS LEAK TRIGGERS EXPLOSION, EVACUATIONS IN SAN FRANCISCO
- LOTTERY OFFICIALS SEARCH FOR POWERBALL WINNER IN OAKLAND
- PRINCE HARRY AND ACTRESS MEGHAN MARKLE TO WED NEXT YEAR
- METH LAB FOUND IN HOME OF ACCUSED SOUTH BAY STALKER