SAN JOSE (KRON) — A suspected arsonist appears to have struck again along Interstate 680 in North San Jose.
There was yet another suspicious fire over the weekend, bringing the total to at least 20 over the past two weeks.
A dozen of those fires started in one night. The string of fires began back on Dec. 9 and have been occurring along the on-and-off ramps to 680 between Berryessa and Hostetter Avenue near the Milpitas border.
Someone from one of the many homeless camps may be to blame and neighbors are very concerned given how dry the vegetation is.
The latest fire broke out about 1 a.m. Sunday between some trees and shrubs and a sound wall along the I-680 off-ramp to Capitol Avenue.
This is the latest of at least 20 such fires in the area, almost all of which are thought to have been intentionally set.
Several have occurred in or near the many homeless camps in the area.
San Jose CHP say as many as 20 suspicious fires along 1-680 corridor near Milpitas border appear to be arson. pic.twitter.com/d4w3vFYQSN
— @Rob Fladeboe kron4 (@KRON4RFladeboe) December 19, 2017
The fires have been relatively small, consuming brush, dry grass, tarps, and trash, but the vegetation and trees are extremely dry and firefighters say such a fire could easily spread into the largest urban neighborhoods and business districts that are just off the I-680 corridor.
- VIDEO: WOMAN GETS ANGRY AT CUSTOMERS FOR SPEAKING KOREAN
- TWO WOMEN FOUND DEAD IN EAST PALO ALTO HOME
- MEMORIAL PLANNED FOR SAN FRANCISCO MAYOR ED LEE
- VACAVILLE GIRL RECEIVES DISTURBING VOICEMAIL FROM CLASSMATE
- DOCTOR ACCUSED OF SPIKING WOMAN’S DRINK WITH ABORTION PILL
- SURGEON ADMITS SIGNING INITIALS ON PATIENTS’ LIVERS
- GET YOUR MORTGAGE OR RENT PAID IN 2018