Climbers dies after falling 1,000 feet on Mt. Hood in Oregon

(Clackamas Sheriff‏)

8:10 p.m.

Authorities say all climbers who had been stranded on Oregon’s tallest mountain are safe.

More than a half-dozen had been climbing near Mount Hood’s peak on Tuesday when they encountered tumbling rocks and falling ice. One climber fell to his death.

The Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office says rescuers assisted three climbers to safety.

The sheriff’s office says rescuers used a sled and a rope system to bring down a woman who said she was unable to move.

Steve Rollins of Portland Mountain Rescue said the woman arrived at the Timberline Lodge just before 8 p.m.

The other climbers made it down on their own.

The lodge sits at about 6,000 feet (1829 meters).


7 p.m.

An eyewitness who saw a climber’s fatal fall on Mount Hood says right before the man disappeared from view “he started cartwheeling.”

Quinn Talley of Welches, Oregon, told The Associated Press that he has climbed the mountain about 20 times and had never seen worse conditions.

Talley says after summiting around 8 a.m. he was descending ahead of the man who died.

“A party of three was coming down. and one of the guys slipped. At first he was just sliding and right before he disappeared, he started cartwheeling,” Talley said.

Talley says he tried to reach the man, but the ice was too dangerous and he didn’t want to fall and create the need for second rescue. He came across one of the man’s climbing partners, who was also trying to reach him, and offered him his medical kit before continuing his descent.


5:05 p.m.

Authorities say rescuers have reached a group of climbers stranded on Mount Hood after one climber died after a fall.

The Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office says rescuers reached the climbers at about 4:40 p.m. Tuesday at 10,500-foot (3,200-meter) elevation and that the climbers had all been assessed.

The sheriff’s office says rescuers were assisting four climbers to safety. An additional three climbers were making their way down the mountain without assistance.


Update: 4:15 p.m.

Authorities say a climber who fell up to 1,000 feet  and was airlifted off Mount Hood has died.

The Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office says the male climber was pronounced dead upon arrival at a Portland, Oregon, hospital Tuesday afternoon.

The sheriff’s office says seven or eight climbers remain stranded on the mountain and that one has injuries that are not believed to be life-threatening.

Rescue teams are still working to reach the climbers.

MOUNT HOOD, Ore. (KOIN) — Two separate incidents at the Hogsback area on Mount Hood brought emergency crews to help 2 injured people, including one who fell between 700-1000 feet.

In the first group, 4 climbers were stranded and one was injured, the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office said in a tweet.

In the second incident, another climber fell and other climbers arrived to render help, the sheriff said.

Search and rescue crews are “working feverishly to get crews to the climbers.”

The man reportedly fell between 700-1,000 feet near the main chutes of the upper crater. The 7 other climbers remained in the area and seem to be in okay condition.

According to Clackamas County officials, the climber is a man and is believed to be in his 30s. His condition is unknown, but according to officials, other climbers were able to reach him.

Captain Stephen Bomar with the Oregon National Guard told KOIN 6 News the 7 climbers are OK and ground crews were working their way toward the fallen climber.

“There was a request to have the Oregon National Guard provide its Blackhawk helicopter to hoist the individual out, if at all possible,” Bomar said around 12:15 p.m.

Scott Lucas with the Oregon Office of Emergency Management said he believed there were 6 or 7 climbers in the party.

“There are 4 or 5 climbers around him, giving him CPR,” Lucas said. “We have the Army Aviation, the Oregon National Guard, they are getting theri crew together to fly up on a rescue mission and hoist him up, get him back to a medical facility.”

The other climbers will be assisted by Mountain Rescue or the ski patrol, Lucas said. First, though, they will tend to the injured climber.

“Clackamas County Search and Rescue, they are in charge of the rescue after we make the rescue of the injured party,” Lucas said.

Russell Gubele of Mountain Wave Search and Rescue said Tuesday that he is unable to release information about the climber’s condition.

There were reports of falling ice preventing the other climbers from leaving the area.

Hogsback is at an elevation of 10,500 feet, almost to the top of Mount Hood, which is 11,239 feet.

Conditions on the mountain vary but the past few days have been sunny, which means ice and snow are melting. It’s unclear if current conditions played a role in the fall.

Crews from the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office, Mountain Wave Search and Rescue and the Oregon Air National Guard are responding.

Check back for updates



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s